Insider Transactions on 2/3/2017
By Frederic Marsanne
Published on February 4, 2017
Every once in a while, the market does something so stupid it takes your breath away.
Indecision and delays are the parents of failure.
Nothing is worth more than this day.
Only those who have patience to do simple things perfectly ever acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying.
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles
(Cambridge, MA) — You may recall that an officer, director or owner of 10% or more of a class of a company’s securities must report any trade to the Securities and Exchange Commission within two business days. Large equity purchases (resp. sales) by several insiders are considered bullish (resp., bearish). While a secondary indicator (earnings, earnings, where are you?), insider transactions signal that insiders at public companies (well, some of them anyway) believe now is not a bad time to accumulate or liquidate shares. Maybe they see something coming…
Yesterday (2/3/2017) there were few large insider purchases (i.e., around or above $500k) recorded. They included:
- Arconic Inc., formerly Alcoa Inc. (ARNC) ($5.75m, on top of tens of millions of dollars over the past few weeks, 1 insider = Elliott Associates, L.p.)
- Envirostar Inc (EVI) ($3.8m, 2 insiders, price per share: $4.89)
- Macquarie Infrastructure Corp (MIC) ($1.75m, 5 insiders incl. the CEO and the CFO)
- Howard Bancorp Inc (HBMD) ($775k, 12 insiders incl. the CEO)
- Jagged Peak Energy Inc (JAG) ($675k, 2 insiders)
Insider sales (greater than $5 million) on 2/3/17 were far more consequential and originated from a wide range of industries; they were not just dominated by banks and financials, as has often been the case over the past few weeks:
- Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) ($950m, 2 insiders = Director Bill Gates and Valueact Holdings Gp, Llc)
- Univar Inc. (UNVR) ($315m, as part of the sale of 15 million shares by investment funds affiliated with Clayton, Dubilier & Rice LLC and Dahlia Investments Pte. Ltd., an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Temasek Holdings (Private) Limited, to Goldman, Sachs & Co., the sole underwriter in the registered public offering of those shares)
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) ($33m, 6 insiders incl. CEO Tim Cook and Director Al Gore)
- Danaher Corporation (DHR) ($27.6m, 4 insiders incl. the CEO and the CFO)
- Alphabet Inc (GOOG) ($26.9m, CEO Larry Page)
- ManpowerGroup Inc. (MAN) ($25.3m, 5 insiders incl. the CEO and the P/COO)
- ServiceNow Inc (NOW) ($13.75m, 2 insiders incl. the P/COB/CEO)
- Priceline Group Inc (PCLN) ($6.3m, 2 insiders = the Ex. COB and the P/CEO)
- Live Nation Entertainment, Inc. (LYV) ($6m, 1 insider = P/CEO)
- Gilead Sciences, Inc (GILD) ($5.3m, 1 insider = the Ex. COB)
- FUNanc!al provides no advice of any kind.
- Please, do your own diligence; you invest at your own risk.
- Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/funanc1al (@funanc1al)
- Register with us at http://funanc1al.com/wp-login.php?action=register
- Follow us on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/funanc-al-llc-
- Like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/funanc1al
- Subscribe with us at https://www.youtube.com/user/funanc1al/
Check out the following two videos; they capture some of the spirit…
Image courtesy of ddpavumba at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
For tips on how to become a killer stockpicker:
Have fun and get filthy rich!
And please visit us at FUNanc!al, www.funanc1al.com
For great stock market fun and…
A unique perspective on everything financial.
Stocks stress you out?
Read one page a day…
It’s fun and you may learn!!!
I’ll let the racket do the talking.
To err is nature, to rectify error is glory.
Energy and persistence conquer all things.
You’ll never find a better sparring partner than adversity.
I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.